Allied Health & Rehabilitation Can Do Your DOT Physical in Tallahassee or Quincy
If you drive a commercial vehicle in Florida, you want to be very sure that you get your Department of Transportation (DOT) physical on time for a very simple reason: failure to present a current med card can result in the cancellation of your commercial driver's license. Our chiropractor can help. You can get your DOT physical at Allied Health & Rehabilitation in either Tallahassee or Quincy.
What will our chiropractor check for your DOT physical exam?
At Allied Health & Rehabilitation, all DOT physicals are conducted by our resident chiropractor, Dr. Martine Charles, and assistants. Our doctor and staff will check every aspect of your basic health, including:
- Blood pressure issues. If you have mildly elevated blood pressure, the Florida Department of Transportation encourages you to use natural methods to lower it. Dr. Charles can help you with this. Be sure to avoid coffee and energy drinks before your physical to avoid running up your blood pressure.
- Breathing issues. Dr. Charles will find out whether you have asthma or sleep apnea, and help you deal with those issues so you can pass your physical.
- Diabetes. Testing your blood sugar will be part of your DOT exam. If you have diabetes, you may be permitted to drive if you are under an endocrinologist's care, but if you aren't, you can lose your license. If you have failed a previous physical, let Dr. Charles know, so our staff can work with you to get your blood sugars under control before you have a second failure.
- Hearing. The Florida Department of Transportation requires you to be able to hear a whisper at a distance of 5 feet without a hearing aid.
- Weight issue. Being overweight is not automatically disqualifying, but it makes sleep apnea an issue to be explored. Dr. Charles can help you with weight issues.
The State of Florida also has questions about alcohol and drug abuse, but you don't have to have a urine test unless your employer requires it. There will be screening for ran injuries, seizures, potential for stroke, underlying heart disease, and mental health.
You mean I don't have to go to an expensive occupational health specialist?
Our chiropractor is fully qualified to certify you for a med card. The advantage of coming to our chiropractor is that you have someone who can help you if you didn't pass your exam the last time. Chiropractors don't just certify your health for a med card. We help you overcome health issues to get your med card.